Level 1 Orthopedic Yoga Therapy Certification: Transformational Vinyasa
This comprehensive training guides participants into a deep embodiment of the practices, philosophy and anatomy that is the core of our program. We work with each participant as an individual and their unique bodies, histories and goals. Whether you are looking to use our courses to find your own balance, or to help others find theirs, there is a place for you in our community. You will learn to deeply understand your self as well as have the experience and knowledge to guide students through multi-level yoga classes that nourish the joints, tone the muscles and release tension at its deepest level for a truly holistic healing experience.
What is taught in this course?
The word “vinyasa” means to connect. A “ Vinyasa flow” class is one in which the poses are connected and move rhythmically from one to the next. This enables the joints to be bathed in synovial fluid, the internal, healing lubricant of the body. In this course, all levels of flow are taught so students will be able to teach in every situation, to all students. Students leave fully prepared to teach all levels of classes ranging from power style, sweaty and exhilarating classes, to gentle, slow therapeutic flows. The best part is, all students will graduate knowing how to support and protect their students, even those working with constraints or injuries. You will never have to say “If this pose doesn’t work for you, feel free to come into Child’s Pose.”; because you will have the knowledge to modify those postures for those students to make it safe for them.
- An ability to teach informed, safe and inspiring yoga classes ranging from slow, gently and therapeutic to fast, sweaty and exhilarating; to students of all levels and all degrees of experience, in person and online.
- The knowledge needed to keep every student in your classes safe, and always moving towards optimal balance and alignment even if they are working with a restriction or injury
- A deep understanding of the physical and energetic anatomies and how they apply to yoga
- How and when to employ the “bandhas”, or energetic locks of yoga
- A functional perspective of the joints move, take stress and are to be aligned with regards to yoga; and the ability to feel in in their own bodies and see it in their students.
- The ability to 'body read' which will allow participants to look at their students and know what adjustments that student needs to make where, and why, to bring student into better alignment, out of pain and away from the risk of injury.
- The experience and knowledge to create a unique yoga practice that is right for you; as well as to know when and how to modify that practice as appropriate.
- An in-depth understanding of the often misunderstood 'Fascia' of the body, and how it relates to yoga and orthopedics with a teacher who has been certified in “fascial Release” for more then a decade
- An ability to practice and offer the “un-doings” needed to bring ourselves and our students from misaligned posture back into balance
- Experience of offering therapeutic hands-on assists in a safe and effective manner
- A deep exploration into yoga philosophy with one of the foremost experts in the country
- An amazing, growth filled and fun experience within an outstanding community of people.
- A life-changing, transformative educational experience that will benefit participants and the lives of the people around them.
These trainings are offered in conjunction with our partnership studios, as well as through live and recorded online sessions.
Michelle is a Yoga Therapist, a Thai Bodyworker, a Nerve and Artery specialist and a Board Certified Structural Integrator in the lineage of Ida Rolf. It was through these complementary practices of wellness that she healed her body - and from there Orthopedic Yoga Therapy was born.
These days she trains teachers and students to find a fluid pattern of movement that protects and nourishes the joints while stretching the muscles and connective tissue and quieting the mind. She is the owner of Sanctuary Wellness Studios, Director of Orthopedic Yoga and Transformational Yoga Therapy and founder of Equilibrium, a non-profit dedicated to bringing breath, movement and nutrition education to young people with anxiety and mood disorders.
Ray Crist, of Jaguar Path, has spent the last three decades immersed in shamanism, various styles of yoga, Chinese medicine, martial arts, and Reiki. He has been offering workshops and trainings at Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, NY Open Center, Yoga Journal, Blue Spirit, Boddhi Tree Yoga Resort and around the globe for over 15 years. Ray’s trainings focus on how to use shamanic tools and yoga as technologies that assist us to reach an optimal state of being in order to to live a balanced, empowered and extraordinary life.
Chip Hartranf, PT (Yoga, Insight Meditation, Yoga-Sutra) bridges the traditions of yoga and Buddhism. He is the founding director of The Arlington Center, dedicated to the integration of yoga and dharma practice, and has taught a blend of yoga movement & insight meditation in the Boston area since 1978.
An independent scholar of yoga and early Buddhism, Chip is the author of "The Yoga-Sutra of Patanjali: a new translation with commentary" (Shambhala). His work has also been included in "The Wisdom of Yoga" by Stephen Cope, "Freeing The Body, Freeing The Mind" by Michael Stone, the Shambala Sun, and many other publications.
Chip teaches the origins, evolution and practices of yoga and Buddhist traditions at Lesley University and at teacher trainings and retreats across the country.
Vanessa Pattison lives and passionately teaches meditation and yoga in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. A forever student she has acquired over 3,000 hours of yoga certifications in Hatha, Prenatal, Vinyasa, and Yin since 2005. Vanessa has trained with many teachers in various styles of yoga but two of her first and most influential teachers were Peter Sterios, founder of Manduka, and James Bailey an Aryuvedic Doctor. She co-founded Nicaragua Yoga Institute which hosts and runs Yoga Teacher Trainings and Wellness retreats year-round. Being a mother to three boys herself led Vanessa to support other women as a birth doula and she has assisted and/or delivered over 20 babies in Nicaragua and the United States.