Level 1 Orthopedic Yoga Therapy: Transformational Vinyasa
@Shine On Yoga and Wellness in Milton, Massachusetts
6 month program, one Tuesday evening per week and one Weekend per month
This Level 1 Orthopedic Yoga Therapy program is a “vinyasa” training. The word “vinyasa” means to connect. A “ Vinyasa flow” class is one in which the poses are connected and move rhythmically from one to the next. This enables the joints to be bathed in synovial fluid, the internal, healing lubricant of the body. In this course, all levels of flow are taught so students will be able to teach in every situation, to all students. Students leave fully prepared to teach all levels of classes ranging from power style, sweaty and exhilarating classes, to gentle, slow therapeutic flows. The best part is, all students will graduate knowing how to support themselves deeply, as well as their students, even those working with constraints or injuries. You will never have to say “If this pose doesn’t work for you, feel free to come into Child’s Pose.”; because you will have the knowledge to modify those postures in safe and effective manners.
All participants will graduate this course with:
- An ability to teach informed, safe and inspiring yoga classes ranging from slow, gently and therapeutic to fast, sweaty and exhilarating; to students of all levels and all degrees of experience, in person and online.
- The neurology tools needed to rewire the brain out of the stress response and into a deeply connected and centered place of joy.
- The knowledge needed to keep every student in your classes safe, and always moving towards optimal balance and alignment even if they are working with a restriction or injury
- A deep understanding of the physical and energetic anatomies
- A functional perspective of how the joints move, take stress and are to be aligned; and the ability to feel that in their own bodies and see it in their students.
- The ability to 'body read' which will allow participants to look at their students and know what adjustments that student needs to make where, and why, to bring student into better alignment, out of pain and away from the risk of injury.
- The experience and knowledge to create a unique yoga practice that is right for you; as well as to know when and how to modify that practice as appropriate.
- An in-depth understanding of the often misunderstood 'Fascia' of the body, and how it relates to yoga and orthopedics.
Experience of offering therapeutic hands-on assists in a safe and effective manner
- An amazing, growth filled and fun experience within an outstanding community of people.
- A life-changing, transformative educational experience that will benefit participants and the lives of the people around them.
Please be aware of the following weekend dates for the training:
We meet in studio Tuesday evenings from 6:00-9:00 pm at
Shine On Yoga and Wellness, 60 Adams Streets in Milton, MA with Chloe Roche and Kerry Ann McCarthy
Fridays evenings are (mostly) on Zoom 6-9 pm
Saturdays and Sundays are 9:30 am to 5:30pm (with breaks) in studio
(All course work is also recorded in the event a session must be missed.)
January 12 - 14
February 2 - 4
March 15 -17
April 27 - 29
Kerry Ann McCarthy
With over 15 years teaching experience, Kerry Ann is a 500-hour certified instructor in Kripalu yoga, Para yoga, Aerial Yoga, and Hatha yoga. She also has numerous specialty certifications including Vinyasa, Yin, Prenatal, and Reiki.
Kerry Ann’s several years of experience have given her the opportunity to teach globally, co-teaching 200 hour teacher trainings and retreats. She owns Shine On: yoga and wellness studio in Milton and teaches in Sober Homes and recovery centers in the Boston area, bringing meditation and other stress reduction strategies into her classes to bring as much mindfulness as possible to her students.
Chloe fell in love with yoga after pursuing her passion in movement, exercise, and helping others, completing her bachelors in exercise science with a minor in nutrition. She continues to practice and learn through the style of Orthopedic Yoga, having taken her 200hr YTT and 100hr Back Care Intensive certifications with Michelle. Chloe is also a personal trainer and nutritionist, a certified meditation teacher in addition to instructing yoga.
She has a great and functional understanding of the anatomy of the body and importance in strengthening and mobilizing the body often. She not only focuses in on the physical aspect but the overall wellness of each individual she works and practices with. Every single movement starts with the proper alignment of the body, to strength that proper positioning. Chloe strives to make her classes accessible for all levels, cultivating an inclusive and open space for her students and the yoga community.
Michelle has spent thousands of happy hours teaching yoga classes and private sessions everywhere from hospitals to schools to Gillette Stadium. She has taught in conjunction with Johns Hopkins Medical School on Yoga for Brain Disorders. She was on staff at Spaulding Rehab Group working with orthopedic patients and has spoken at Grand Rounds hospitals on the "Applications of Yoga in Clinical Settings". For more than 10 years she ran summer camps to bring holistic healing to young women with anxiety and mood disorders.
Michelle was the owner of Sanctuary Studio in Massachusetts, the founder of Transformational Yoga, Ritual Vinyasa and Orthopedic Therapy. She is a Board Certified Structural Integrator having studied with the acclaimed Tom Myers of "Anatomy Trains" fame, as well as a Thai Massage practitioner, a Neurovascular Bodyworker and the author of the upcoming book "Orthopedic Yoga".
She has been teaching and studying the science behind yoga for almost 20 years. She now teaches internationally, bringing her unique style of yoga to students of all levels, ages, shapes and sizes. She has taught thousands of yoga students and believes it is a blessing to be able to bring people the gifts of a strong body, a quiet mind and a blissful spirit.
Ray Crist, of Jaguar Path, has spent the last three decades immersed in shamanism, various styles of yoga, Chinese medicine, martial arts, and Reiki. He has been offering workshops and trainings at Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, NY Open Center, Yoga Journal, Blue Spirit, Boddhi Tree Yoga Resort and around the globe for over 15 years. Ray’s trainings focus on how to use shamanic tools and yoga as technologies that assist us to reach an optimal state of being in order to to live a balanced, empowered and extraordinary life.
Chip Hartranf, PT (Yoga, Insight Meditation, Yoga-Sutra) bridges the traditions of yoga and Buddhism. He is the founding director of The Arlington Center, dedicated to the integration of yoga and dharma practice, and has taught a blend of yoga movement & insight meditation in the Boston area since 1978.
An independent scholar of yoga and early Buddhism, Chip is the author of "The Yoga-Sutra of Patanjali: a new translation with commentary" (Shambhala). His work has also been included in "The Wisdom of Yoga" by Stephen Cope, "Freeing The Body, Freeing The Mind" by Michael Stone, the Shambala Sun, and many other publications.
Chip teaches the origins, evolution and practices of yoga and Buddhist traditions at Lesley University and at teacher trainings and retreats across the country.